When You Accidentally Eat Soap, This Is What Happens To You

Believe it or not, accidentally swallowing soap can lead to soap poisoning. That's because soaps are often made with harsh chemicals that can be poisonous if swallowed or ingested. According to Healthline, accidentally swallowing soap can potentially be toxic and life-threatening. While the exact signs and symptoms can vary depending on the type of soap and how much is ingested, accidental soap poisoning can cause several gastrointestinal symptoms, including abdominal pain, bloody stools, excessive vomiting, vomiting blood, and diarrhea.

Accidentally swallowing soap can also burn the esophagus, depending on the ingredients. In some cases, soap poisoning can even lead to low blood pressure, a sudden drop in heart rate, and an imbalance in the pH level of your blood (per Healthline). While anyone can accidentally swallow soap and get soap poisoning, young children are at an increased risk, especially if they're left unsupervised. If your child is showing symptoms, you may need to seek medical attention.

When to seek medical care

If you're experiencing any symptoms of accidental soap poisoning or are unsure of how much soap you swallowed, you should call a doctor right away. If you're experiencing constant vomiting and diarrhea, however, you should seek emergency medical care and go to the emergency room. According to Medical News Today, medical treatment for severe soap poisoning can include IV fluids, pain medication, and an oxygen or breathing tube. Doctors may also need to check the lungs, food pipe, and airways with a bronchoscope or endoscope. 

Since prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals in soap can lead to organ and tissue damage, it's important to seek medical care immediately (per Medical News Today). The sooner you get treatment, the more likely it is that you'll make a full recovery. This also applies to people who get soap in their eyes and on their skin. If you've only swallowed a small amount of soap, however, you should drink a few sips of water and wait to see if any symptoms occur.