The Real Reason You Should Avoid The Sliders At White Castle

Late-night runs to White Castle for delicious, greasy sliders is an experience many folks can relate to. Whether you're looking for a quick meal, or simply in the mood for some midnight munchies, White Castle has been that go-to fast food spot for many.

Unfortunately, the famous White Castle sliders are worse for you than you might think. Of course, fast food in general is not the healthiest, and most of it is highly processed, which, according to the Cleveland Clinic, means more added sodium. The added sodium in processed foods can increase your risk for hypertension, and that can put added stress on the cardiovascular system, resulting in more serious medical conditions like heart disease and stroke. 

Men's Health reports that the amount of salt in White Castle's small sliders is nearly double that of the salt found in burgers from Burger King or McDonalds — and that still may not even be the worst part.

You may get a sour stomach after eating White Castle sliders

According to The Recipe, you may find yourself stuck in the bathroom after a White Castle meal, as people often complain to the company about a sick stomach after eating at the famous fast food chain. Even some of your favorite celebs have admitted to getting sick after indulging in White Castle cravings. Mirror reports that during an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, "Hunger Games" star Liam Hemsworth describes his first experience with White Castle as a bonding moment for him and co-star Josh Hutcherson. About 30 minutes after they stuffed themselves, according to Liam, "we went out to his garden and we threw up together."

Whether it's the dehydrated onions or the processed meat patties, White Castle sliders have a reputation for causing a sour stomach. An alternate theory as to why this food item may cause stomach issues is shared by a White Castle employee on a Reddit "Ask Me Anything" thread from 2015, in which the employee states, "A lot of people make them too soggy by putting too much water on the grill, which is what upsets people's stomachs."